Tuesday, August 26, 2008

A Page from TG's Journal

Twilight Guardian Information File (TGIF)



September 20, 2008

10:37 p.m. - I'm a bit late getting ready for my patrol tonight. A woman came into the drycleaning shop with a blouse that had a strange red stain. I believed it might be blood. I took samples and have been analyzing them with the home crime lab equipment I recently purchased online. As it turns out, the stain is apparently some sort of fruit-based compote. My best guess would be pomegranate, but I won't know for sure until further tests can be performed.

11:30 p.m. - Time to read my nightly comic. Tonight's choice is Jungle Justice #14 from 1975. The comic originally featured fairly cheap knock-offs of Tarzan and Sheena, but as of issue #5, sales were down so low that they switched to more of a superhero format, though they tried to keep it at least marginally jungle-related. The star from that point on was Bananas Froster, the super-chimp with ice powers. I particularly like this issue, as it has a reality-bending story where Bananas travels to Earth-Ultra and meets the writer and artist of Jungle Justice. It's an interesting concept. I wonder what it would be like to find out you're merely a character in a comic book?

12:00 a.m. - I don my mask and costume. I never feel more alive than I do at this moment, every night. Time to go.

1:13 a.m. – As always, I see the elderly woman in the yellow house watching "War of the Gargantuas." There is a slight change tonight, however. Normally her snack of choice tends to be a small plate of braunschweiger with crackers, but tonight it’s Bugles stuffed with what I believe to be cream cheese. I’ll enter this information in her file later.

2:24 a.m. – I see the shadowy figure on the outskirts of my jurisdiction again. What does he want? Why do I see him so often there, just on the periphery? I sense some sort of skullduggery, but I can’t be sure yet. Is he a villain? A fellow crimefighter? A sleepwalker? This is a mystery that must be solved.

2:57 a.m. - I stop for my repast at the bait shop. The machine is out of Choc-ola (due to its popularity, no doubt), so I have to make do with Bubble Up. It's a fine soda, manufactured right here in Indiana, but the lemon-lime flavor does not complement my peanut butter and bologna sandwich so well.

4:02 a.m. – Tomorrow is Trash Day, and everyone has their refuse out on the curb. In front of one house I find a pair of Wii boxing gloves. Apparently someone must’ve tired of the game already and threw them out. I discover that the pads inside can be removed, and could theoretically be replaced by weights to create a cestus of sorts. I take them with me. The uninitiated might call this good fortune, but I know that Justice provides for her agents.

4:57 a.m. - Through the window of the old Miller house, I see a man and woman, a new couple in the neighborhood, arguing. I stop to watch, in case things become heated (relationships are never easy). After a while they hold each other and kiss, then fall to the couch together. I move on; sometimes the line between crimefighter and voyeur is a simple act of discretion. I feel strange, though I'm not sure why. The sun's coming up, anyway. I need to go home.



If you want to read more about Twilight Guardian, gang, you can pick up Twilight Guardian #1 at all fine comic shops (and Newsarama.com is set to run it in its entirety later this week).

And if you'd like to see her continuing adventures, please keep voting for her every day as part of Top Cow Pilot Season 2008!

Troy Hickman, August 2008

3 comments:

Juggling Jason said...

This is awesome!

NuclearToast said...

I can't wait until there are more illustrations to go with these journal entries.

Juggling Jason said...

Oh wow! So do I!!!