Friday, June 6, 2008

Troy's Patrol Journal #2

* Tonight I walked by a dog that I've seen for the last few nights. He's leashed in the front yard of a house by a very long chain, and he just constantly runs and jumps all over the place, in a manner that I can only describe as frollicking. I'm not sure of the breed, though he looks sort of like a spotless dalmation. He just seems so happy, though. I assume it may be because he stays inside much of the time, and becomes euphoric when they let him out. He stopped and looked at me, without barking, his tongue hanging out, as if to say "hey, buddy, you coming over to see me?" There are few things that make me happier than seeing a happy dog. It's easy to see why our two species bond so easily.
* Almost every night I hear this kid up in his second-floor bedroom practicing the trombone. When I first hear him, he was just learning the scales, and it was kind of painful. That was months ago. Last night I heard him playing what I believe was the fight song of my old school, Jefferson High. Practice makes...well, maybe not perfect, but close enough for jazz.

* I saw a figure standing on a street corner, leaning down to do something. As I got closer, I realized it was a kid, probably 18-20, in a jogging suit, and he was reaching down to pick up a pair of dumbbells he had been carrying with him. Then he took off again, powerwalking, with his arms pumping the weights up and down as he made his way into the darkness. I guess there are a lot of us out there, trying to accomplish something in the twilight.

2 comments:

Snorii said...

I played the trombone as well, but I never thought about the peeping toms walking around my house as I practiced. Oh well, hopefully, When the Saints Go Marching In lent them a cadence on their nightly patrols.

Juggling Jason said...

My goodness Troy why aren't you touting this blog at there forums?

No matter I'll do it for you!